IPoE and DHCP

IPoE related questions
euller

IPoE and DHCP

Post by euller »

Hello, I've been studying accel-ppp to see its viability, and I became interested to use it in IPoE connections instead of PPPoE connections.

But I noticed that IPoE with DHCP alone, has a drawback: access before authorization. Because in this model, authentication can only occur after
an IP address has been assigned and the subscriber has been authorized to use the network.

This is a potential security exposure, since the user has access to the network before having been authorized.

How accel-ppp behaves in this situation? Does it implements some kind of solution, or I should do it myself?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Dmitry
Администратор

Re: IPoE and DHCP

Post by Dmitry »

Hi,
accel IPOE provides various models depends of your needs and network environment

1. accel may act as DHCP server, in such case user doesn't get IP address before authentication
but there is ability to assign temporary address if you want to give your user access to some login page or something else

2. accel may work in conjunction with external DHCP server
in such case, yes, authentication will occur after authorization and user has access to your internal network, but no outer access

3. accel may work as relay to external DHCP
this case is like 1, the difference is that external DHCP will provide authorization info for user and accel acts mostly as authentication node
euller

Re: IPoE and DHCP

Post by euller »

Excelent, this was very helpful, thank you very much.