Running Accel-PPP in the CORE emulation environment

Questions related to general functionality
hardillb

Running Accel-PPP in the CORE emulation environment

Post by hardillb »

Hi,

I've been working on trying to add support for setting the IPv6 DNS server from Radius (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2681). I'm making progress but wanted to set up a simplified test environment. (If anybody wants a look it's in my fork here https://github.com/hardillb/accel-ppp )

I've used the CORE (Common Open Research Emulator) https://www.nrl.navy.mil/itd/ncs/products/core network emulation environment in the past and it's great for this sort of thing. It uses Linux namespaces and bridges to assemble

I've got the Accel-PPP node working and a PPPoE client connecting from a second node, but I'm having issues with getting the wide-dhcp6-client to get a response from the built in dhcpv6 server.

I've tried with the original unmodified code and it behaves the same so I'm pretty confident that I've not broken this.

I can see the solicitation arrive over over the PPP link (via tcpdump) but no response. I'm wondering if anybody has seen something like this or has a suggestion for how to debug.

Thanks.
dimka88

Re: Running Accel-PPP in the CORE emulation environment

Post by dimka88 »

Hi hardillb, cool. I think I will test this on my LAB environment, but I'm not sure when I will have time.
Did you check accel-ppp logs? Is verbose=1 defined for all sections, like [ipv6-dhcp] and [ipv6-nd]?
hardillb

Post by hardillb »

Yeah, I've got logging turned up to 5 and enabled for both ipv6-nd and ipv6-dhcp.

I'll have another play over the weekend and maybe hack in some more logging/trace
hardillb

Post by hardillb »

Worked out what was wrong. I had a typo in my Framed-IPv6-Prefix in the ldap so it wasn't assigning an IPv6 address to the end point and hence not starting the DHCPv6 server.

All working now, just got to clean up the code for grabbing IPv6 DNS server addresses from the radius server.
dimka88

Post by dimka88 »

Cool, can you create PR to main repo after finishing?
hardillb

Post by hardillb »

I have the DHCPv6 all working.

Will spend some of of my social isolation time tomorrow updating the neighbour discovery code as well.
hardillb

Post by hardillb »

OK, I think I have it all working now, pull request coming later today.

Quick question, what's the easiest way to check that the Neighbourhood Discovery is working properly? Running radvdump on the client end doesn't seem to see any RA packets over the PPP link when I test with PPPoE.

I stuck a bunch of debug statements in and they all fire when I expect them to, but I'd like to double check from the other end.