NetFlow accounting on PPPoE interfaces?

PPPoE related questions
marekm

NetFlow accounting on PPPoE interfaces?

Post by marekm »

Is is possible to do NetFlow traffic accounting on the dynamic PPPoE interfaces created by accel-ppp?
I'm running a PPPoE server on VyOS which includes accel-ppp, but VyOS only allows physical interfaces to be specified for traffic accounting.
Is this just a limitation of the VyOS CLI (must specify interfaces in advance, no way to specify "all dynamic interfaces"), or does accel-ppp have some limitations so that it would not work?
dimka88

Re: NetFlow accounting on PPPoE interfaces?

Post by dimka88 »

Hi @marekm, looks like it is some restriction in VyOS. Accel-ppp does not restrict this. Try to read a bit more about pmacct netflow collector
marekm

Re: NetFlow accounting on PPPoE interfaces?

Post by marekm »

I'm not sure how to tell pmacct to detect dynamic PPPoE interfaces created and removed by accel-ppp.
My RADIUS configuration is such that they are all named ppp-$USER where $USER is the PPPoE username.
I need to collect and log all IP headers (only headers, no data) of all traffic flows on all PPPoE interfaces.
This came after discussion about our data retention laws - all my customers have static public IPs so it is easy to identify the customer based on the IP address alone (without any logs), but some people say the logs (kept for one year) are still needed.