Shaper remarking of packets

Shaper related questions
simon

Shaper remarking of packets

Post by simon »

Hi!

We are a small ISP and search for a BRAS (pppoe) that has some specific features:
The most important is to limit the bandwidth of each customer. The caveat is, that we
need to guarantee some bandwidth for each customer (can be different for different customers).
The tricky part is to find a BRAS that can (for each pppoe session) mark the guaranteed bandwidth packet (ex. 20% of the total BW) with a different priority than the rest.
The priority then could be translated to VLAN CoS so that our network can distinguish the traffic.
This would be something like a trTCM described in the RFC. We have a CIR (commited BW, this would be our guaranteed bandwidth) and a PIR (peak BW, this would be the maximum that the customer receives).
The values of CIR and PIR come from a RADIUS server.
To recapitulate:
BW < CIR = remark packets with higher priority
CIR < BW < PIR = remark packets with best effort
BW > PIR = drop these packets

Is this possible with accel-ppp?
I already set up some tests int the lab but I could not find a way to set up accel-ppp so that this works.

Best regards

Simon
dimka88

Re: Shaper remarking of packets

Post by dimka88 »

Hello simon,

If you need specific shaper rules, you can create own TC classes/filters and disciplines with module pppd_compat which run script ip-up when the session starts, ip-change by CoA and ip-down when session stopped
Also, you can revise Cisco AV Pairs which also supported.
simon

Re: Shaper remarking of packets

Post by simon »

Hi!

Thanks for your quick reply! I will look immediately into your suggestions.

Best regards